UPDATE: I tried following Georgia Weidman’s Penetration testing book with a 64-bit version of Windows 7 sp1. IIS just wasn’t installing (I think). I am blowing away the machine and going to try with a 32-bit version. Everything below in the post is when I was running through setting up Windows 7 sp1 x64.
Going through Georgia Weidman’s Penetration testing book, I am almost done with Chapter 1. Looks like the additional software for the Windows 7 target has some issues
- Since I had so many problems with IE 8, I downloaded the latest version of Firefox as Georgia directs to do. I used this to download the other software requests.
- For Java 7, Update 6, get it here. The link in the book doesn’t work. I had to create an Oracle account to download it.
- Winamp 5.55 can be downloaded here. I didn’t even try to download it from http://www.oldapps.com/winamp.php?old_winamp=247/. I haven’t had any luck downloading any application from there.
- Supplementary information on this book can be found here. This is where Ubuntu is and the BookApp Georgia asks to install at this point of the book.
- I am running a 64-bit version of Windows 7. I started to think this would give me complications when I started seeing x86 versions of files. Everything actually worked until I needed to install SQLXML 4.0 sp1. Since the BookApp folders only have the x86 version of SQLXML 4.0 sp1, I went to Microsoft for the 64-bit version which can be found here.